Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Summer's End

Ah, at last; summer nears. This Memorial Day weekend brought with it the usual trappings of this lovely season: long car trips; beautiful misty mornings facing due east on Long Lake; the obligatory trip past the Cherry Hut to the Market Basket; cooking outdoors; fly-fishing. Absolutely wonderful. As I was contemplating the next trip to the lake house I began to think of those who have spent more summers at the lake in their past than those to come. In fact, as elderly family members slowly pass as I write and much, much younger ones just realizing what the lake holds in store for them I enter a new chapter in my understanding of death knowing God's grace is sufficient even for me.

Ah, at last. Summer.

Please look here for a very sensitive examination of Oregon's Death with Dignity law. A multimedia feature is to be found on the lower right hand side of the page.

The summer season
Brings with it understanding
That winter follows.

No comments: