Tuesday, June 29, 2004

One v. The Other

The demarcation line between my life and my job is the Prairie Avenue Bookshop located on South Wabash in Chicago, IL. This bookstore is on the orange line train that runs from Midway Airport to the Loop and back. Each Monday and Thursday I pass by this store and my concrete-sequential thoughts turn either to work, on Mondays, or to home, on Thursdays; these times and this place dictate the foci of my mind. Just like the tracks which the train requires to go somewhere, my mind needs this visual reminder in order to separate one from the other.

The bookstore is rather nondescript limestone, two-story building on an otherwise forgetful city block with framed windows that, at first glance, might appear soaped over to obscure what's inside. But, what's inside does count and when one gets past the exterior one is rewarded with sights completely unexpected. Rich wood, glittering steel and aluminum, vertical spaces, and a hushed ambiance present a different package altogether. So, what's more remarkable? That the two are seemingly diametrically opposed, or that it's an apt metaphor for my person?

What you see is not
One versus the other, No.
Not ying and not yang.

http://www.pabook.com/images/exterior-small.jpg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

last weekend i was cleaning up my room and i realized that the marker of the end of the weekend for me is emptying the little trashcan that sits next to my desk. i remembered how during the school year, tidying up my room was always a sunday afternoon activity after my lesson plans were done and things were ready for monday. i realized as i took out the trash last week that this is what does it for me- psychologically when that trash goes out, its time for work on monday.

i think just knowing that is really going to help me. like actually, i kind of like knowing that this little trashcan plays such an instrumental part in my weekly rythym. makes me view the mighty mighty trashcan in a whole new light.

just thought i would share my discovery that was inspired by your post...

-patty