Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Fiction and Ministry but not Fictional Ministry

I finished three short stories by Alice Munro last night that just left me wanting more. These stories are some of the best I've read from her which is a wonderful thing to say because all of her work is delicious. Her stories are characterized by a clarity of intent and crisp dialogue; I highly recommend Alice Munro to everyone. As a devoted fan of the short-story genre she is one of my favorite authors. It's interesting to note that she, along with Margaret Atwood, another favorite of mine, are two of the best modern Canadian writers. There's something familiar and yet foreign in both of their works; perhaps that's the attraction.

Not meeting with the Body for the past two weeks has been a constant source of agitation for me this week. Matt's excellent jump into the breach brought about by our disparate and common conversations regarding financial support for Bill has caused a great deal of thinking for most of us, and I, too, am still working out my particular thoughts on having a 'paid staff member'. However, it's also important to remember what, if any, commitments we've made to Bill financially and discuss the ramifications of a change in support. More on this later. Can anyone tell me where IndyChurch north and west is meeting this week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am not up on my canadian fiction.

when did you start reading alice munro and margaret atwood?

are there any themes in their stories? i am trying to determine if i would be interested in checking them out...