Sunday, November 02, 2008

What's wrong with Higher Education, you ask?

From an anonymous liberal arts professor, tenured, who has decided to leave academia for good:
Higher education for too many undergraduates at too many liberal arts colleges has become a puffy sofa nestled with down pillows. For a few bucks and in a few hours, students can take a test and learn that they are language disabled, or mathematically disabled, or for a few bucks more, both. Students increasingly ask me during advising sessions if a class is tough or hard, or if the professor assigns a lot of reading, because they need to “lighten their load.” “I want to take a class with Professor So-And-So. I have a lot on my mind, and I don’t want to stress out.” “Don’t worry,” I say, “you won’t.”
The rest, here.

Courtesy of one of my favorite blogs, Marginal Revolution.

No comments: