Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Feed Me, Seymour; or, You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'

So, how do Rick Moranis and the Righteous Brothers fit in? Well, for Members2B, it pretty much describes our current church dynamic. We're either in need of feeding, like Seymour, to keep ourselves from dying on the vine or, like the Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill song, feeling a bit jilted right now by the ones we love most.

At lunch today with Bitt, the topic of structure sort of weaved itself in and around our conversation (this, after the story of my life -- my most sincere apologies to Chris). I can say, with confidence, the both us feel structure can be a tool to help us remember what our time together should be like. I expressed to Chris my appreciation of the Catholic Church for identifying and incorporating sacraments into corporate worship and how communion isn't something we should treat lightly. (Can't you just see your mother or grandmother kicking you in the shin for talking during communion? Don't you think she might do the same to us now?) Another item I'd like to see is a dedicated corporate prayer time where the various needs we express to one another during the week can be made available to a larger group (if you want them to). The reading of scripture, whether established by the liturgical calendar or by other circumstances, is another weekly item we need as well as the overwhelming need to sing. Do we do these things now? Mostly, yes; we do these things but do we think about them in a purposeful manner every time we do them? I don't think so. It occurs to me our fragrant offering might smell a bit like milk just past its expiration date or lettuce that's been in the keeper just a little bit to long: you could probably eat it, but it's not what it should be. (Food analogies brought to you directly from my house and my own pet peeves.)

Alright. If structure may help (and who's to say that it will?) I'm going to embark on a structure project. I'll let you know when it's ready to share. Lastly, my apologies for the German subtitles. They are amusing, however, don't you think?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just don't think I understand the purpose of the whole corporate prayer thing...I mean, it stands to reason to me that we should know what is going on in the lives of our community partners, but I don't get the whole ritual of it. It seems fakey in the worst ways. Do we not believe that God has heard our discussion, is in fact in our midst? And why this need to repeat the exact same thing we just said, only with heads bowed, eyes closed in some sort of religious language and tone (words I would never choose to use in general discussion)? I can't ever see myself being comfortable with this.

I suppose that is the whole rub with the structure thing, isn't it? I mean, the one thing that is extremely important to family A is not at all important, or worse yet - part of the problem with "organized religion," for family B. Looks like the can of worms is far from closed...

But the structure is important for us, at least it seems that way. I am tempted to believe that the really important thing is for us to actually have meaningful conversation, something that we seem to really struggle with when we gather for the Sunday Event. Perhaps the two are intrinsicly linked. Whatever the case, I hope we see some movement within our little group.