Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Time Is Here

Each and every year Christmas arrives, passes, and then, after a day or two, I feel incredibly nostalgic for the season that's just passed me by. I can't, for the life of me, understand why I can't feel this way prior to the actual day itself. I thought this holiday would somehow deliver me that certain feeling as we were home but it just didn't deliver even though my wonderful wife did her very, very best to try and make it happen and my son was just as ecstatic as a five-year old could be waiting for the day to arrive. Perhaps next year will be different. I've got to figure out why Christmas has become so anticlimactic.

Keeping in line with the traditions of our house guests this Christmas, one of the members of our household became ill -- yours truly. Let's just say there was much more time available to me for reading than I'd initially planned. (Uncomfortable reading, at that.) The most unfortunate aspect of this was the fact I missed most of the available time we had for family games and outings. (No movies, geocaching, or board games as planned.) Nonetheless, it was a treat to watch Hayes and his cousins, Eleanor and Magnolia, enjoy each other's company. Thanks to Josh and Jody for coming this year; we loved having you (as always) and hope to see everyone again real soon. And, I think I'd like to learn to play Dragonology next time, intestines permitting.

I received a fabulous gift courtesy of my wife (at a much more reasonable price) which has occupied most of my listening time for the past few days. I can't tell you how enjoyable this is; it's probably the best gift I've received at Christmas in a long, long time. (With the exception of the paper shredder.)

Christmas time is here;
the strains of Vince Guaraldi
etched into my mind.

No comments: