Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A new home team?

On a recent flight to Chicago I had the opportunity to talk to a Bears fan on his way home after Superbowl XLI. We had a nice 45 minute conversation about the NFL, the dearth of quality QBs in the league, how the Superbowl is so much *not* like a football game, the power the media has over the players, his Bears, and my Colts?/Ravens?/Other?
I've always been lukewarm regarding my current home team, the Colts, based on my childhood in Baltimore. After moving to Indianapolis in 2000, I took great pleasure in the Ravens' Superbowl win that year. And although I pass the Colts complex practically every day it's been hard to switch allegiances to this team. If you look at it from a dispassionate view, the Colts are far better in terms of community impact, storyline, approach towards life, etc. and the Ravens are a smash-mouth defensive treat. I could go on forever but, perhaps, it's time to root for two teams or leave the Ravens behind.

No comments: