Monday, January 01, 2007

Taken and Missed

It can be overwhelming to think of a year that's passed so I won't. I will, however, think about the promise of another 365 days and the joys and sorrows it will bring. I've been thinking about the trajectory of my life and the opportunities taken and missed: are we remembered mostly for the ones we take or the ones we miss? I'm led to think of Jonah and the fantastic story of the opportunity intentionally avoided and then the one taken as a result. (After thinking of this, I hope I'm not in the belly of the whale and I'll be on the lookout for vegetables growing over my head.)

Regardless of the actions taken by Jonah I choose to focus, instead, on the prayer Jonah offers: (chapter 4, verse 2) ". . .that I have known that you are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger, abundant in kindness, and repenting of evil". Grace and mercy, the best double play in the Word; this is a great prayer to offer. I hope to use it frequently this year as I miss opportunities.

No comments: